I don't know who invented hot dogs, but the first hot dogs were brought to America by immigrant germans. At the beginning they consisted of bread holding a hot sausage. With time people added so many things to the bread to make them more delicious, and as an attractive product.
Wherever you go in Venezuela you will find stands selling hot dogs. Sellers offer a variety of them, some are small, some are very big named PEPITOS. The sauces used are home made like the garlic one, and some are fabric made like ketchup and mustard. You can choose german, polish and american sausages. The sausages affect the prices of the hot dogs.
The problem with the hot dogs is that depending on the people who prepare them you can get sick, so I decided to make my own hot dogs at home. The stuff you use to fill the breads depends on you, but the bread and sausages are a must. I always buy a good quality sausage. I use a home made mayonnaise with garlic, parsley or coriander leaves. I can add potatoes and cheese according with the budget because home made hot dogs are more expensive, that is why when we want to eat them we get together as a family and share the costs.
Ingredients depends on the number of people:
- bread for hot dogs
- white cabbage grated
- parsley or coriander leaves
- home fried potatoes chips
- home made mayonnaise with parsley and garlic or a commercial one
- boil the sausages for 5 minutes
- make the salad with the cabbage, onion and you can add grated carrots
- open the breads without cutting them totally
- place the sausages in the breads
- add mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup on them
- place the salad on the sausages
- put the chips as topping and finish with more ketchup, mayonnaise and mustard