This blockchain offers the opportunity to power up or stake your Hive. When doing so, you block this hive for about 13 weeks but it comes with nice side effects.
Powering up increases your resource credits necessary to be active on the blockchain, it increases your vote value and it generates curation rewards.
Because of a certain threshold built into the blockchain, smaller stakes don't generate curation rewards. You will need at least 100 Hive Power to generate these rewards.
A big account opens a whole set of opportunities
The bigger your account gets, the more possibilities you have to generate an income. There are mainly two ways to generate an income with your stake: Delegating or Curating. In this post I want to compare these two opportunities.
What you should know about delegating your stake
When you delegate your stake or part of your stake, you allow somebody else to curate with it and for that you can get paid. Here some important things that you need to know about delegating:
- You won't automatically get paid when delegating your tokens. Make sure that you will get paid in a way or another.
- When delegating your stake, you decrease your own stake, your voting power and therefore also your curation rewards.
- When you stop a delegation by undelegating it, your tokens will be kind of blocked for 5 days. During this time they won't generate any income for you or the person you have delegated to.
Some services that pay you for delegations
- dlease.io: is a marketplace for delegations
- @tipu: is a curation program that you can delegate to and get payments from their curation effor
- @project.hope: is a community program that curates posts. They will pay you daily from your delegation
- @leo.voter: is a curation program run by leofinance. You will get daily payments in the form of Leo tokens
- @ctpsb: is a community program that curates posts. They will pay you once a week in the form of CTP tokens.
What can you earn with delegations
At the moment, you can earn between 10 and 20% from delegations through the services above. In addition to that, you will also earn about 3.47% organic interest when you stake tokens.
What are the advantages of delegating?
There are some clear advantages for delegating.
- First, you don't need to do anything. You delegate your tokens and you will get your dividends on a regular basis without doing anything at all.
- The second advantage is that you can support a cause that you believe in by delegating your tokens.
- Finally, what is really interesting with delegations is that you earn liquid tokens, often on a daily basis.
What you should know about curation
Curation is the act of upvoting content with your stake. A lot of things can be done wrongly when curating. These are some important points that you should pay attention to:
You won't get curation rewards if you upvote with less than 100 hive power. If you are close to 100 hive power, always vote with 100%!
- You won't earn curation rewards automatically. You need to vote to get them and you need to know how to vote!
- If you don't know how to set your votes, your income will be drastically reduced.
- It's possible to set your upvotes automatically with voting services like https://hive.vote or https://rewarding.app/. Before you use these services, it's again important to know what you are doing.
I've created an online course with everything that you need to know about upvoting content on Hive. You can use the coupon code
hive-postfor a 1$ discount, valid till 31.1.2021
What can you earn with curation?
This is a very difficult question to answer. Of course you will also earn the organic interest of 3.47% for all staked tokens. What is certain is that the better you know how to set your votes, the more you will be able to generate with curation. I try to do manual curation but I also set automatic upvotes when my voting power is close to 100%, in order not to loose any votes when I can't be around for some time.
It is possible to generate up to 20% APR on your curation. Most people however will reach between 6 and 15%.
What are the advantages of curation?
Curating requires more work and knowledge than delegation but it has some nice benefits:
- You keep full control over your stake and you vote on the content you like. With your behaviour, you define how the blockchain allocates the newly minted tokens.
- When you curate posts automatically, you can set up everything once and let it run by itself.
- The biggest advantage of curation is in my opinion the fact that you can earn second layer tokens when you do that. If you stake all the hive-engine tokens in your wallet, you will generate not only hive curation rewards but also rewards in LEO, Sports, Stem, Pal, Archon, Neoxian, CTP, .... The return of second layer tokens can be much higher than hive and this will provide you with several income sources for the same work!
Maybe the best solution is a kind of mix...
You don't have to decide yourself for only one thing. It's a good idea to combine delegating, curating and even manual and automatic voting. If you want to do that, make sure that you keep a substantial part of your stake ready for curation.
What do you do? Do you curate or delegate?
My free e-mail course: The 100'000 satoshis a week strategy
Posted Using LeoFinance Beta