An adventure in Kamarata./ Una aventura en Kamarata

in THE WEEKEND2 months ago



This is the story of an exciting weekend.

As a university professor, I had the opportunity to travel with a group of colleagues to the Gran Sabana… Specifically the indigenous village of Kamarata. An indigenous village of the Pemon ethnic group.

This filled me with great excitement, because it is a great adventure to just let go, to visit one of the most beautiful places in my country Venezuela.

Our work there was to give some classes to a group of indigenous people, students of Education, who were very interested in receiving workshops for their professional development.

And as a teacher to reach them and offer something of what I know is unique.

Besides enjoying a unique part of my country, with great Tepuy and amazing waterfalls.

The Gran Sabana is a dream come true.

The beginning

The journey starts from Caracas, by bus to Cuidad Bolivar, a road of more than 8 hours. We left at night and arrived during the day.

It was a night trip that I spent sleeping and in jolts, the roads are not very safe, but we arrived safely at the airport of Cuidad Bolivar.


There we had to take a small plane to the town of Kamarata because to get there is only by air in a light plane, only 45min flight, or by river in a curiara with a day or more of travel.

By plane is much better. It was my first time and I was living this trip that I did not want to end and the adventure was just about to begin.

From the plane, the scenery was majestic. Kilometers of jungle below us.

A dense jungle of giant trees and wildlife.

Then the Tepuis began to appear, those immense mountains. Where crystalline waters gush. Hidden in its interior.

Undoubtedly an energetic trip, so many things are said about this wonderful place and today I was there.


We arrived at Kamarata, we were received with great joy and hospitality.

We were welcomed by a group of students. They were happy of our arrival and welcomed us and took us to the lodging place.

In the village, it is evident the situation in which the indigenous people live, very humble houses, dirt and mud streets. But full of energy and grateful for our arrival.

The headquarters of the university is a very large house, headquarters of the mission of priests, where the church is and where the village priest lives.

Behind the church there are some rooms and dormitories, however, there were few bedrooms and as there were many of us in the delegation of teachers, we had to sleep outside.


Sleeping in a churuata, the churuata is a round structure with a roof. If walls only stakes and hooks to hang there the hammocks or hammocks, with mosquito netting for the amount of pests and nocturnal insects.

To get there, to the churuata we had to pass the river, a small river that we walked through and reached our ankles.

There we bathed in its crystalline water, with a container or we lay down to get wet, complete. However, one night it rained a lot and the river I think, the current was super strong, but we held on tight to each other and managed to pass to the other side, it was dragging us when we wanted to pass.

But at night we slept listening to the passing of the river water between the stones and the sounds of the nocturnal animals in their different tones.

The mornings were splendid, a delicious breeze, a radiant sun. A unique view of plains and in the distance jungle, with a tepui, so close but so far away….

What impressed me the most, was to see the black clouds moving quickly, bringing a powerful breeze, sound of rain that came closer and closer, until the sky covered the sunlight and darken everything in seconds, the heavy rain lasted a short time, the big nine passed and the sun came out again.


Class arrived.

The days passed quickly over the weekend, each teacher gave his class.


I had the practical class, I taught them the art of bookbinding. They had to hand in a research paper and I showed them how to present it in a more formal and creative way.

It was a practical class with great results. I was fascinated with the deliverables. Showing their creativity and their indigenous presence.


These activities motivate me to do my work with more love.

Many of these students, coming from other populations deeper in the jungle, come walking or by curiara for several days to get to class. They have a great spirit of self-improvement and a desire to preserve their cultural heritage.

The farewell…

But as everything has its end. It was time to go back, the weekend had passed very quickly.

We visited the village to say goodbye. We met the shaman or the indigenous witch doctor… Each one passed by and offered us some words. I don’t remember what mine were, but being there was already magical.

I am writing these lines and many memories of moments lived there

Come back to me.

At the end, they made us a farewell party where we tasted typical dishes of the region, a beautiful table, and a very nice meal.

I took cassava and soaked it in broth. When I tasted it was an explosion of senses, a little spicy but I wanted more. It was a broth of hormiga culona… A large ant that lives in the Amazon jungle and is a traditional dish.

I was also offered Moriche worms, which I did not dare to try. At that time, but everyone tasted it with pleasure…

To return we took the plane and arrived in Canaima to live another adventure that I will tell later.

Translated with (free version)





Esta es la historia de un fin de semana emocionante.

Como profesor universitario, tuve la oportunidad de viajar con un grupo de colegas a la Gran Sabana... Concretamente al pueblo indígena de Kamarata. Un pueblo indígena de la etnia Pemón.

Esto me llenó de gran emoción, porque es una gran aventura dejarse llevar, visitar uno de los lugares más hermosos de mi país Venezuela.

Nuestro trabajo allí fue dar unas clases a un grupo de indígenas, estudiantes de Educación, que estaban muy interesados en recibir talleres para su desarrollo profesional.

Y como docente llegar a ellos y ofrecer algo de lo que sé es único.

Además de disfrutar de una parte única de mi país, con un gran Tepuy y unas cascadas increíbles.

La Gran Sabana es un sueño hecho realidad.

El comienzo

El viaje comienza desde Caracas, en autobús hasta Cuidad Bolívar, un camino de más de 8 horas. Salimos de noche y llegamos de día.

Fue un viaje nocturno que pasé durmiendo y a trompicones, las carreteras no son muy seguras, pero llegamos sanos y salvos al aeropuerto de Cuidad Bolívar.


Allí tuvimos que tomar una avioneta hasta el pueblo de Kamarata porque para llegar allí solo se puede hacer por aire en una avioneta, solo 45min de vuelo, o por río en una curiara con un día o más de viaje.

En avión es mucho mejor. Era mi primera vez y estaba viviendo este viaje que no quería que terminara y la aventura estaba por comenzar.

Desde el avión, el paisaje era majestuoso. Kilómetros de selva bajo nosotros.

Una selva densa de árboles gigantes y vida salvaje.

Luego comenzaron a aparecer los Tepuis, esas inmensas montañas. Donde brotan aguas cristalinas. Escondidas en su interior.

Sin duda un viaje energético, tantas cosas se dicen de este maravilloso lugar y hoy estuve allí.


Llegamos a Kamarata, nos recibieron con gran alegría y hospitalidad.

Nos recibió un grupo de estudiantes. Se alegraron de nuestra llegada y nos dieron la bienvenida y nos llevaron al lugar de alojamiento.

En el pueblo, es evidente la situación en la que viven los indígenas, casas muy humildes, calles de tierra y barro. Pero llenos de energía y agradecidos por nuestra llegada.

La sede de la universidad es una casa muy grande, sede de la misión de los sacerdotes, donde está la iglesia y donde vive el cura del pueblo.

Detrás de la iglesia hay algunas habitaciones y dormitorios, sin embargo, había pocos dormitorios y como éramos muchos en la delegación de profesores, tuvimos que dormir fuera.


Dormir en una churuata, la churuata es una estructura redonda con techo. Si las paredes sólo estacas y ganchos para colgar allí las hamacas o hamacas, con mosquiteros para la cantidad de plagas e insectos nocturnos.

Para llegar allí, a la churuata tuvimos que pasar el río, un pequeño río que atravesamos y nos llegó a los tobillos.

Allí nos podíamos bañar en su agua cristalina, con un recipiente o nos tumbábamos para mojarnos, completos. Sin embargo, una noche llovió mucho y el río creo, la corriente era súper fuerte, pero nos agarramos fuerte y logramos pasar al otro lado, nos arrastraba cuando queríamos pasar.

Pero por la noche dormíamos escuchando el paso del agua del río entre las piedras y los sonidos de los animales nocturnos en sus diferentes tonos.

Las mañanas eran espléndidas, una brisa deliciosa, un sol radiante. Una vista única de llanuras y a lo lejos selva, con un tepuy, tan cerca pero tan lejos....

Lo que más me impresionó, fue ver las nubes negras moviéndose rápidamente, trayendo una poderosa brisa, sonido de lluvia que se acercaba cada vez más, hasta que el cielo cubrió la luz del sol y oscureció todo en segundos, la fuerte lluvia duró poco tiempo, los nueve grandes pasaron y el sol volvió a salir.


Llegó la clase.

Los días pasaron rápidamente durante el fin de semana, cada profesor dio su clase.


Yo tenía la clase práctica, les enseñaba el arte de la encuadernación. Tenían que entregar un trabajo de investigación y les enseñé a presentarlo de una manera más formal y creativa.

Fue una clase práctica con grandes resultados. Me fascinaron los resultados. Mostraron su creatividad y su presencia autóctona.


Estas actividades me motivan a hacer mi trabajo con más amor.

Muchos de estos estudiantes, que vienen de otras poblaciones de la selva, vienen caminando o en curiara durante varios días para llegar a las clases. Tienen un gran espíritu de superación y el deseo de preservar su herencia cultural.

La despedida...

Pero como todo tiene su fin. Era hora de volver, el fin de semana había pasado muy rápido.

Visitamos el pueblo para despedirnos. Nos encontramos con el chamán o el brujo indígena... Cada uno pasó por allí y nos ofreció unas palabras. No recuerdo cuáles fueron las mías, pero estar allí ya era mágico.

Escribo estas líneas y muchos recuerdos de momentos vividos allí

vuelven a mí.

Al final, nos hicieron una fiesta de despedida en la que degustamos platos típicos de la región, una mesa preciosa y una comida muy agradable.

Cogí yuca y la mojé en caldo. Cuando lo probé fue una explosión de sentidos, un poco picante pero quería más. Era un caldo de hormiga culona... Una gran hormiga que vive en la selva amazónica y es un plato tradicional.

También me ofrecieron gusanos de moriche, que no me atreví a probar. En ese momento, pero todos lo probaron con gusto...

Para regresar tomamos el avión y llegamos a Canaima para vivir otra aventura que contaré más adelante.



Congratulations @jennynas! You have completed the following achievement on the Hive blockchain and have been rewarded with new badge(s) :

You got more than 400 replies.
Your next target is to reach 500 replies.

You can view your badges on your board and compare yourself to others in the Ranking
If you no longer want to receive notifications, reply to this comment with the word STOP

Support the HiveBuzz project. Vote for our proposal!

Your content has been voted as a part of Encouragement program. Keep up the good work!

Use Ecency daily to boost your growth on platform!

Support Ecency
Vote for Proposal
Delegate HP and earn more

Qué experiencia tan hermosa! las lecciones más valiosas de nuestra profesión vienen dela experiencia