My initial witness post was written over two years ago, so I thought it's about time I'm updating it.
Current Witness status
I'm currently ranked #74 (active 71), I broke into the Top 100 quite recently partly thanks to the exposure I got from my contributions to the Steemit Condenser and Wallet apps. At this current position, I'm witnessing in average 8 blocks per day giving me a Producer Reward of around 1.200 SP per block. However, due to the current low price of STEEM, this gives me only around USD $14.11 per week or about USD $59.98 per month, which is barely sufficient for me to rent a server to run the witness node. My expenses for all related projects (Hivemind node, @SteemSQL subscription, community bot server) are actually more than what I earn back from running my Witness, so I'm in fact paying out from my own pocket.
Additionally to my Witness operation on Steem, I'm also an active blogger and write content on various topics such as:
- #gardening and #homesteading
- #fishing and #kayaking
Outside of Steem, I'm a full time Web Developer working for SBS, an Australian national TV broadcast company. I'm an admin/moderator of a couple of Facebook groups related to worm farming and I'm the owner of https://thelittlewormfarm.com, I also love tending to my garden where I grow a lot of fruits and vegetables for the pleasure of my family, I also do photography to complement my blogs, I'm practicing Wu Xing Dao Kung Fu and I love fishing especially kayak fishing.
Current servers specs
I recently upgraded my Witness server for the third time to the following specs:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
- 32 GB RAM (I'm still using ZRAM for an extra 30 GB useable memory in average)
- 2x 256 GB SSD in RAID0 giving 512 GB effective disk space
- Bandwidth: 1 Gbit/s
- Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C2750 @ 2.40GHz
- 32 GB RAM with ZRAM enabled
- 250 GB SSD
steemd the witness software that runs the blockchain myself and have my own scripts to help with setting up new nodes and do maintenance work, reducing time to get the server up and running.
This node is a small VPS that runs NodeJS bots for the following projects, all of which runs inside a Docker container for portability:
- Skippy Discord bot for Team Australia and Team NZ
- @anzub community bot for Team Australia and Team NZ
- @teamvn for Team Vietnam
- https://steemulant.com/ my own sandbox Condenser app
Its specs are as followed:
- Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU C3955 @ 2.10GHz
- 2 GB RAM
- 50 GB SSD
IPFS Pinning node
- Cavium Thunder X ARM
- 4 GB RAM
- 100 GB SSD
My still active community contributions
Development work on some community apps
I've in several occasions submitted pull requests for bug fixes and feature requests for the
Steemit Condenser and
Wallet apps, some of which have been announced by @steemitblog and got me twice the title of Most Valuable Programmer of the week:
I've added the
Keychainify feature to
- Keychainify - Trigger a Steem Keychain transaction from clicks on SteemConnect links
- Keychainify on direct access to a SteemConnect URL
Steemed Phish is a Chrome browser extension to make external links more visible and alert you on Phishing/Scamming links. It was injecting several little improvements to the Steemit Condenser app before those were also implemented in the app itself.
Community bots for Team Australia, Team NZ and Team VN
- I've written this Discord bot for @teamaustralia, it has three main features: a level bot (like Tatsumaki but with Australian animal images), a chatter bot and a footer banner generator for both @teamaustralia, @teamnz, @steemph and @steemusa. Refer to: Witness Update 2018-07-30 - Team Australia's Skippy Bot
- I've also taken over the maintenance of Anzub community upvote bot and moved it to a modified code based on Skippy's own code.
- @teamvn is also a custom built community bot for the Vietnamese community on Steem. @teamvn, a community bot to help grow the Vietnamese community
Your previous D.Tube videos don't play anymore? How to prevent this from happening again without technical skills. This service is currently provided for free on OneLoveDtube Discord server.
Steemulant IPFS pinning bot