What is it?
The SAFE (Safe Access For Everyone) network is an attempt to create a secure, autonomous data network that operates without human intervention. It is quite notably NOT a blockchain.
Where is its community?
How can I get the token?
- Exchanges (for now)
- Farming (in the future)
How's it work?
MaidSafe works by allowing individuals to provide storage, computation and connectivity to the users of its service. Their combined efforts form a decentralized cloud for use by application developers, who are paid a special allocation of the coin for their work on applications. It costs to PUT content into the SAFE network, but GETS by users are free. The community is debating PtP-- pay the producer-- essentially, paying out to creators of popular content, as well. A verdict has not been reached on the PtP feature, however.
What's cool about it?
- It's not a blockchain, so it can operate more quickly than a blockchain.
- Its token features are implemented in its network protocol.
- Real apps are being built on SAFE today.
Why should I be worried?
- There is not yet a release of the software supporting a true decentralized network. The current test network is limited to those who have reached a certain level on their forum, and is very alpha.
What is similar to SAFE?
Remember-- similar, but not the same. Each of these has notable similarities and differences.
- Storj - similar as a file storage mechanism. Difference is that SAFE is an app platform and Storj isn't.
- Sia - similar as a file storage mechanism. Difference is that SAFE is an app platform and Sia isn't.
- FileCoin - similar as a file storage mechanism. Difference is that SAFE is an app platform and FileCoin isn't.
- HoloChain - Similar as an app platform. SAFE is built for storing files, too while holochain does not recommend using holochain for file storage.
- Steemit - Steemit is a blockchain dedicated to an application, so it's similar in that steemit is a distributed appliction. SAFE is a platform for developers to build many distributed applications on top of, including those that have their own currencies, like steem.
So, that's SAFE in a nutshell-- the union of application platform and storage/distribution system. I should say openly I'm a pretty big fan of SAFE, because I think it can change the web for the better.