You are viewing a single comment's thread from:

RE: GMO corn that enables no-till planting.

in #discussion6 years ago (edited)

lucky for us the human growth rate is declining.

Once the 'hump' has passed, if it hasn't already, the population will decline also.
If you believe the,estimated and projections from those estimations, numbers...which I don't.
I don't think that there are NEAR that many people alive today.

Sort:  

India and China are hard to fathom, I believe there are that many of them. I don't buy their growth rate projection, it will turn negative in a few decades or sooner but for it to get back down to the two billion or so the earth can sustain without utilizing the Haber process it would have to be a significant negative rate for a while. As a consequence of all those women in China and India and Africa learning to read because of cheap smart phones they will start to have fewer children like women do in developed countries. Pretty soon we will know exactly how many people are in India once they have to use eye scans to conduct business.

the growth rate turned negative in 1962
the population increase should turn negative in a few years (see above)
what's the problem with the Haber Process? Just makes amonia. I grew up near a plant that did that.

Not according to the chart you posted. If you look it does peak around that time but their projection never has it actually becoming negative.

I think that is probably wrong though because we already see countries and populations where they do have negative population growth, like Japan and white Northern Europeans.

The Haber process is great, without it there would only be a fraction of the number of people we have now.