While I don't always get the chance to enter the awesome Feathered Friends Show Me A Photo contests, I always check out the theme for the week. When I saw the theme for last week's was Mating Birds (and saw some of the amazing entries) I had to laugh, because I couldn't remember, even in all the years of bird watching, ever seeing them in action (pun most definitely included). This week's Wings was going to be an easy one for me, but - I kid you not - while I was searching on my computer, I was interrupted by Turkey Vultures in love! 😂
To set the scene - as I said, I was at my computer mid morning on Wednesday (April 14th) looking through my photo archives for some shots featuring wings, while hubby was sitting on our bed chatting with me. As usual, our cat and dog were also on the bed, being their usual adorable selves.
At one point, my husband said something along the lines of, "awww look how cute he is" in reference to either Sandy or Freddie and I turned to look. And spotted a huge mass of feathers out on a rock at the edge of our yard, moving in a weird way. It took my brain a half second to realize it was a pair of turkey vultures celebrating the change of season!
I grabbed my camera & tripod and managed to get a bunch of pictures (and a short video - sorry though, it's not NSFW) both through the window as well as a few when I went outside. Since the vultures were kind enough to also show off their wings for me, they saved me from having to look for photos for my entry!
Turkey Vultures in love & spreading their wings
1. This was the very first shot I took, and I thought for sure they'd take off after seeing me at the window!
2. However, they didn't seem to mind...lol
3. And almost as soon as it started....
4. They finished with a big flourish of wings! And yes, this is my entry photo into the contest. 😊
5. The look of love... lol
6. Even with such unappealing heads, they still manage to look cute!
7. This is how close they were to our house.
This is a short, somewhat shaky video (as I said, my camera was on my tripod, but I still had my hand on the camera to turn the video on & off, so my slightly tremoring hand didn't do me any favors. I also stripped teh sound from it since they weren't making any noise & all you could hear was the sound of the space heater running under our bedroom window.
8. Chillaxing on the rock.
9. And look! Mrs TV is showing off her wings now!
10. Posing pretty. Right after this photo, I decided to sneak outside to see if I could get some that weren't through the not-so-clean bedroom window.
11. I tiptoed out, walked slowly around the corner, and realized they were gone from the rock. As I turned to go back in the house, I spotted this guy perched in the tree next to the driveway!
12. Looks like he wanted to show off his wings a little more before leaving!
13. And there he goes!
14. Nice of him to pose his wings so much for me!
15. Of course, one second before I took this, he had his wings spread out fully again, but I missed the moment. However I thanked him for posing, and he took off to join his missus.
16. Again, I missed an amazing shot as the missus rounded the house flying low and he flew off the branch towards her, and they danced in the air for a brief second before heading off beyond the trees. They are truly amazing to see, and I'm wicked happy they stopped in for a visit.
I hope you enjoyed my photos of these Turkey Vultures in love & spreading their wings
Thanks for stopping by!
My posts may occasionally contain affiliate links. If you click through,
I might get a wicked small commission, with no extra cost to you.
All words and images are mine (unless otherwise indicated),
and can also be found on my various social media sites.
Posted from my blog with Exxp : https://www.traciyork.com/feathered-friends-turkey-vultures-in-love-spreading-their-wings-for-the-show-me-a-photo-contest/