Few days before I prepared a very popular lentil-veg combination Moong dal with Palak (Split moong with spinach), this time I prepared one more popular lentil-veg combination Chana dal with Louki (Split gram with bottle gourd).
So many people do not like bottle gourd as a vegetable but this combination make a delicious recipe.
In Indian cuisine, it is a well-known dish prepared in different types with some ingredients variation but the main ingredients remain the same.
Here is my way - How I prepared and what ingredients I used
- Split Gram (Chana dal) - 1/4 cup
- Bottle gourd 1 pc (About 1 kg)
- Any vegetable oil of your choice (I used mustard oil)- 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves (I used fresh green garlic as it is available in the season) 5-6 cloves.
- Tomatoes 2-3 nos
- Green chillis 1-2 nos
- Spices like cumin seeds, mustard seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala.
- Lemon juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Wash split gram thoroughly and soak for about 30 minutes.
- Wash and cut all vegetables.
- Heat oil in a pan and add spices, saute for a while.
- Add garlic and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add soaked dal and some amount of water and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add bottle gourd and water as required, Cover and cook until dal becomes soft.
- Add garam masala if you like a little spicy.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves and add lemon juice at the time of serving.
Serve Hot with Rice, Chapati, Parantha or any bread of your choice!!