A big greeting to all who read me today, this is my first article as a columnist for the @womentribe community, I am very happy to have this space to reach you from a feminine point of view in search of integration and growth of women.
Nuestro estado mental es tan importante como el estado físico, es lo que nos ayuda a estar en equilibrio con nosotros mismos y nuestro entorno. Hoy en día hablamos mucho de la importancia de validar nuestras emociones y encontrar herramientas que fomenten la estabilidad del cuerpo y la mente.
Today I want to start this text talking about mental health and sharing some tools that are useful to find our balance. Mental health is a topic that has become very visible and we have all become interested in it, but we must remember that this has always been of utmost importance in every moment of our life, since we are born we are forming our mental balance, everything that surrounds us influences our emotional future, even our genetics.
The World Health Organization says that mental health "is the state of well-being in which each individual develops his or her potential, can cope with the stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and can contribute to his or her community.
Our mental state is as important as our physical state; it is what helps us to be in balance with ourselves and our environment. Today we talk a lot about the importance of validating our emotions and finding tools that promote stability of body and mind.
Since the pandemic the words "anxiety" and "depression" began to resonate more in our daily lives, the increase in the visibility of mental health has been exponential.
Having mental health is not only about not suffering from any disorder, it is basically to be able to manage the stress of work, how we deal with losses, the ease we have or not to recover from strong events, and so on.
That is to say, a little attention to our mental stability affects considerably even our physical health problems. Many unmanaged problems can lead to physical symptoms that may alter our daily activities.
Factors such as genetics, the construction of our family, the psychological characteristics of our environment, the consumption of substances, and even biological issues, are related to our mental state.
All the circumstances of life to which we are exposed are key to observe the balance or imbalance they cause internally. A person exposed to violence or abuse will not respond in the same way as someone who has always been safe and supported in their environment.
From the female point of view, mental health is even more delicate since we are at the mercy of a number of frequent stress triggers, in addition to adding aspects such as female hormones that play an important role in the daily balance.
At this point we must also mention that women are in an unequal social position compared to men, which leads to greater vulnerability in social life.
Many women have suffered or suffer gender violence, job discrimination, the pressure to be or not to be mothers, many are seen purely as a sexual object, and other factors to which we can be subjected from an early age, all this influences the mental health of women.
¿Qué podemos hacer para cuidar nuestra salud mental?
Lo más fundamental es escucharte a ti misma, y cuando sientas que debes buscar ayuda de algún terapeuta o de un psiquiatra ¡hazlo! Tu salud es lo más importante y todos los expertos en estos temas están ahí para brindarte orientación y ayuda.
Nuestro estado emocional es muy valioso, así que tomate el tiempo de revisar tus emociones y darte ese momento contigo misma. Espero que estos tips te ayuden y te recuerden que tu felicidad está dentro de ti misma.
What can we do to take care of our mental health?
- Validate your emotions: Recognizing how you feel about situations is extremely important. We don't have to feel good all the time, it is normal sometimes to feel sad or angry. We are used to avoid being sad, we run away from some emotions that only come to teach us something, and often the more we try to push them away, the stronger they become.
For this you could include in your daily activities the practice of JOURNALING, which is basically keeping a diary of emotions, thoughts or experiences. This way you could give yourself the space to observe what you are experiencing and let out all that can generate emotional discomfort. This practice can help us a lot to have perspective.
- Do not isolate yourself from the people you love: Feeling that we belong and can be heard allows us to be accompanied in our processes.
Go have that coffee with your friends!
- Do activities to connect with yourself: We have the belief that we have to do a specific thing to connect with our inner self, but the truth is that from cooking to taking care of our plants, are activities that generate pleasure and calm.
Meditating, dancing, physical activity, painting, or any activity that makes you happy allows your mind to find balance.
- Talk to yourself nicely: the way we treat ourselves is important for our internal dialogue. When you want to judge or punish yourself for something, remember that you were a child full of innocence, and today being a woman you need to be compassionate with that inner child. Stay true to yourself, your process is yours and no one else's, don't compare yourself.
- Improve your habits: small practices such as being thankful every morning, using your cell phone less before going to sleep, and including a better diet in your daily life completely influence how you feel, they are signs of self-love that help you focus on yourself.
The most important thing is to listen to yourself, and when you feel you should seek help from a therapist or psychiatrist, do it! Your health is the most important thing and all the experts in these matters are there to give you guidance and help.
Our emotional state is very valuable, so take the time to review your emotions and give you that moment with yourself. I hope these tips help you and remind you that your happiness is within yourself.
Diseños realizados por mi con Canva
Traducción con Deepl, versión gratuita.
Designs made by me with Canva
Translation with Deepl, free version.