Today I've decided to spend more time, not on adding new projects, but to make sure, that whole website will be working correctly, moving forward. The truth is, that HiveProjects is not yet fully ported to Hive. Being perfectly honest, development of Steem Projects was... not really happening in 2019. I forgot a lot of things, so even creating an another instance for Hive was not so straight forward.
🔧 Fixes for database backup/restore mechanism
- TL;DR: Fix to restore_db script - 342b3bced76242a85e90c2df8deefa29021a3af5
When you put a lot of effort, into creating a database, you first and foremost should make sure, that this database will not be lost, because of some unexpected event. In last few days, I've noticed that there is some problem with a
I wasn't sure, if there is a problem with a script, which makes a backup of a database or if there is a problem with a script, which can restore a db from a backup. I've decided, that this is super important to fix, because the only thing worse than not having a backup, is thinking that you have a backup, when you truly don't!
It turns out, the problem was with
restore_db script, which was failing, because of wrong exit status code, which was 1 (instead of 0), because of some warnings:
I've spend quit some time, trying to understand what can I do, to get rid of those warnings. But after trying few things with a success, I've decided to ignore those errors, while making sure those in the future those and any new warnings will be more visible, so I will be able to notice new potential problems.
Currently creating a database backup & restore procedure looks like this:
🔧 Integration of Sentry (tool for errors & crashes reporting)
Fortunately, that was easy. I've just needed to update a
DJANGO_SENTRY_DSN environment variable, and everything started working :)
So, whenever you will get an error page like that:
then you can be sure, that I will get info about possible root cause of a problem.
💥 Fix for crash, which happen when user was adding a project.
When a user submits a project, I'm am notified by an email about this fact. Well.. I suppose to be notified, but I wasn't, because of `"Domain not found" error`` of anymail/mailgun.
It took me a while, to find a solution for this one. Fortunatelly, someone wrote a really helpful blogpost: Fixing anymail/mailgun "Domain not found" error
It turned out, fdeix was simple as:
But I've spend over an half an hour, trying to figure out this.
That would be all for today. If you want to support development of HiveProjects, please consider doing one or many of the fallowing things:
- you can upvote this post
- you can contribute to HiveProjects, by adding a new project - everyone can do it!
- you can let us know about new project, by posting about it in Hive Projects Community or by cross-posting to it a post about a new project
- you can also vote for our @wise-team witness
- you can write us a comment :)