It seems that there are a lot of conflicting opinions about nutrition. Every few years new diets become popular, and different advice is given on how to lose weight and get healthy. However, there are a few key pieces of nutrition that have stood the test of time. These are backed by substantial amounts of scientific evidence, and can act as the cornerstone of your nutritional education.
If you know nothing else about nutrition, know this...
- the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume
- quality over quantity (100 calories of healthy food is better than 80 calories of unhealthy food)
- limit intake of processed foods
- limit intake of refined white sugar
- water should be the main fluid you consume
- eat lots of vegetables
- eat food with probiotics (yogurt, pickled veggies etc.)
- eat fatty fish
- take a daily multivitamin
- use plenty of herbs and spices
Lastly, aim to have a colourful plate every time you sit down to eat...